- 75% of the world now has access to a mobile phone
- The number of mobile subscriptions will soon eclipse the world’s population
- The developing world is now MORE mobile than the developed world and most phones are owned by people living in low-income areas.
Crowdfunding: A New Way to Get Things Done in Government (09/06/2012) Crowdfunding encourages citizens to take civic projects into their own hands, rather than waiting for governments to pick them up.
Measuring the Webs Global Impact (09/2012) The World Wide Web Foundation launched the Web Index – a new country-by-country global study that measures the impact of the Web on the world’s people and nations. According to Sir Tim Berners-Lee:
“Each country will see not only where they rank compared to others, but also what the World Wide Web Foundation thinks they need to do to improve.”
The site also measures and ranks the webs:
- Readiness, such as infrastructure,
- Use, and the quality of web content, and
- Impact, including social media interactions and business use.