The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), in collaboration with other groups in both the private and public sector, has developed an app for the iPhone and iPad which helps to reduce collisions between ships and the endangered right whales. By providing existing NOAA data and information in one easy to access location displayed on NOAA nautical charts, in addition real time GPS position tracking, vessel operators are more easily able to avoid collision with whales.
Whale Alert features include:
• NOAA Atlantic Seasonal Management Areas
• NOAA Atlantic Dynamic Management Areas
• NOAA and IMO Atlantic designated Areas-to-be-Avoided
• Receipt of Acoustic Buoy detections and Dynamic Management Areas via Internet or AIS over WIFI
• Near Real-time Boston-area Acoustic Whale Detection Buoys
• Seamless Nautical Chart of the Atlantic Coast
• GPS Position Tracking and Alert for Entering Management Areas
Whale Alert serves as a great example of mobile government applying both geolocation technology and agency data to better serve the citizens.
Originally posted on the Mobile Gov Blog by Brandon Barr.