One resolution is to win an award. To be specific, I’d like to win a ClearMark award–for clear writing. (I don’t want to win the WonderMark. People win the WonderMark, but no one sets out to do it.) You have until January 22, 2014 to nominate writing for either.
Here are some of the steps for winning a clear communications award.
More positively, I resolve to
- Write for my readers
- Use words, not jargon ( no leverage, stakeholders, or similar words)
- Keep my paragraphs and sentences short
- Give clear directions
In 2014, I resolve to stop
- Writing to sound clever (at work. At home, no promises.)
- Thinking everyone cares about my projects
- Burbling on and on if I haven’t thought something through
- Writing a wall of words
What are your 2014 plain language resolutions?